Thursday, January 31, 2008

Preparing for Birth

I know I've got a good way to go, but I'm already starting to get mentally prepared for this process. I delivered both girls without pain meds and as naturally as possible (we used a little pitocin right at the end with Aimee). My plan is to have a natural birth again this time. I'm looking into a self-hypnosis program called Hypnobabies. I'm really excited about it. Both previous births were wonderful...but I would definitely call them "difficult"...each for different reasons. Though I never found the pain beyond management (and no, I do not have a high pain threshold). I've been reading a lot of birth stories by moms who used Hypnobabies, and they are so wonderful. If anyone wants to read beautiful, empowering, natural, birth stories, you should check out this website. Most of the stories follow hypnobabies theories in helping mom-to-be avoid scary stories. Birth is treated as a natural process and not a medical procedure. Generally "pain" is a "four-letter word" and is written p**n or described as "pressure", you don't go into "labor" but you experience a "birthing time", and there are no "contractions"...they are "pressure surges". Just focusing on these little things has helped in my mindset and anxiety over giving birth again. Now I just want to be able to get my home-study program so I can start really practicing. This is going to be my best birth yet.

3 comments:

Rebeca said...

Sounds very interesting. I'm not looking forward to labor again, but I'm very excited to meet this baby! I'm sorry we didn't get to see you this week- hopefully soon!

Heidi said...

I know...I was feeling so couped up and ready to get out anyway...then we were stuck! :( We'll have to plan another time really soon.

Laura said...

Hey there you don't know me... but I am a friend of Rachel's - ANyways I just was peeking on your page! Your post is totaly how I felt a year ago. Having had 2 kiddos natural... but I was ready for and terrific birth LOL - I got that this past July! I did tons of reading on Bradely and hypnobirthing etc... never bought any program but loved the ideas of it all. I had a friend sorta doula for me which helped a ton.... I labored at home - for many hours - had my water break at home.... check into the hospital and had my princess about 30 min later.... I was in total control the whole time... never lost control... felt very empowered by it all... never screamed... at peace it was a wonderful delivery... I hope you get what you desire - so much of it is mental... ~ Laura