Sunday, March 2, 2008

Taking Care

A few days ago, I got my first serious leg cramp of this pregnancy. I've been doing a lot to avoid them...drinking as much water as I can remember to, stretching my calves a lot, and not pointing my toes when I'm in bed...I've been pretty lucky with them so far. Well, this one hit hard and fast as I was about to get up for the day. I yelled. Betty was in our room trying to get us up and was concerned. She started trying to hug me and saying "It's ok mom. I'll take care of you." How sweet!

Now she has developed pink eye, poor thing. She also has been not feeling well overall with a temperature on and off and a bit of a cough. Yesterday, Chris and I went to put her eye drops in...I've never seen a child fight as hard against things as she does. She even admits they don't hurt, but still, she fights. She clamps her eyes so tight that we pry them open and it just turns them inside out! So, I decided to try affirmations with her. She would repeat after me "Mom and Dad love me, and only do what's best." Don't know how much that helped.... When we got all done, I was snuggling her (as she cried all her eye drops out) and she looks up at me and says, "Mom, that was not taking care of me!"

6 comments:

rachel said...

oooooh poor little girl. that breaks my heart. i hate eye drops, too, with a passion!

good luck with those leg cramps. ouch!

charisse said...

This pink eye is going around. Ashley got it over a week ago and now poor Hannah has it. We are in the third day with her. Use diluted wine, and liquid silver and use cotton balls to squeeze the stuff in the eyes. Hannah is KICKING, and SCREAMING too. We are using the treat thing with her, like panda licorice. It took John and I to even hold her tight. She will even scream to put a warm wash cloth on her eyes. I'm sorry. It much be a strong virus going around with kids right now.

Ginny said...

Aw, poor Betty. And the joys of pregnancy!

Rebeca said...

Oh, those leg crams can be bad. I woke up not long ago yelling too- thankfully it was before Erik left for work and he ran and helped me walk it out. I've been taking liquid calcium/magnesium before bed and I don't think I've had any more since starting that.
Hope the pink eye gets better soon!
Rebeca

Paula said...

I totally know how you feel about the leg cramps...they are horrible! As for the pink eye...poor thing! I try to bribe Ryan with a sucker when we have to do eye drops.

Elle said...

legs cramps stink! I remember them well from my pregnancy with Sydney. They can be from a lack of potassium (or for some people calcium I guess). I found extra potassium helped me. They say to much phosphorus could be a problem too, as well as being over tired. At any rate, I hope you figure out the root of it and can stay cramp free from now on!