Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Independence ....well, almost.

My girls amaze me every day by how big and grown up they are getting. I've started teaching them to cook. Aimee can now make her own bowl of cereal (as long as the milk is almost empty). This was a big step for her. Now we've started making omelette's together. I make them one at a time, so it's great for them to get to make their own breakfast. I deal with the hot pan and crack the eggs, but they are learning to do everything else. Yesterday they both pored in the milk (just a tad!) and stirred the eggs. Betty laughed because breaking the yolks was tricky as they kept slipping out from under the whisk. Then they grated their own cheese and watched as I cooked the omelet. They even sprinkled the cheese on before I folded it over.

Then, last night, we made english muffin pizzas. They were all just canadian bacon and pineapple. I cut the muffins and spread the sauce, but the girls put them together from there. They are so proud of cooking their own food, and eat so much better when they participate. Now I just need to plan more meals with that in mind.

3 comments:

Rebeca said...

Good job Mama! That will definitely pay off down the road. Have you seen Mollie Katzen's cookbooks, Salad People and Pretend Soup? They are geared for our age kids. Peregrine loves them! I know the library has at least one of them.

charisse said...

That's great to hear. "WE" mommy's love to see independence in our little children. Ashley is learning to take showers on her own(without sister in the room) and knows to tie her own shoes also.

We need to set a play date soon.

charisse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.